Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The double-edged sword

Hebrews 4:12
"For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires."

The Word of God exposes us for what we really are. Verse 13 of Hebrews goes on to say that nothing and no one can hide from God. There is no more powerful tool than the word of God. Author Joshua Choonmin Kang says that "Only the word of God can pierce the soul and spirit. Only the word can judge the thoughts and desires of the heart. It is the only tool that can bring about our spiritual formation."

I can't tell you the number of times, when reading the Bible, that it has pierced my heart and convicted me so deeply about an area in my life that needed to change. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind this conviction is directly from God. He speaks to us through His Word. So often, I've had a nagging question in my heart and I will come across my answer, exactly, spelled out on the pages before my eyes.

Let me encourage you that if you really want to make changes to your life, if you really want to get closer to God and actually hear from Him, get into the Word. That is where all the answers live!! Why make choices based on how we "feel". Why not make our choices according to the Word of God and what the Bible has to say on the matter. Let God direct your paths through His living, breathing, active love letter to us!

2 comments:

Andreea said...

The other Beth Moore verse! And you know I couldn't stand that verse for a long time cause in my case it was always preached within the context of guilt shame and condemnation. But now it is one of my fav verses. I like your take on it, too. Have fun tonite at Convergence!

Andreea said...

Oh yes the first verese that comes to mind when I hear Beth's name is the following:

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. "

Emphasis is mine cause that's how I always hear her teach it ;)