Monday, May 18, 2009

Let God pick out our clothes

Colossians 3:12-14 (The Message)
"So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

I heard a very challenging sermon on this verse over the weekend. As I examine myself, I claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ, yet can I honestly say that I "dress" the way this verse describes, every day? Just as I let my small children pick out their own clothes - their choices don't always match; I admit I'm the same way. When I try to dress myself, I don't always pick out the same clothes that God would pick for me. I settle for the worn out "comfy" outfit that I've kept putting on, time and again, all the while overlooking my closet full of beautiful clothes, especially tailored to fit me perfectly. If only I would reach out and pull them off the hanger and put them on.

I can't attain these "great outfits" on my own because my flesh gets in the way. That is why I must allow God to pick out my clothing of compassion, kindness, humility and most importantly love! It is the "basic all-purpose garment" that I can never be without. Without love, everything else serves no purpose - "like a noisy gong." (1 Corinthians 13:1)

"So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love."
1 Corinthains 13:3

I thank you, God, that your word is sharper than a double-edged sword, exposing me for what I really am. It then gives me right path to take, I just have to choose to take it!

No comments: