Tuesday, November 25, 2008

His grace is sufficient for me!

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Paul had a "thorn in his flesh". We are not told what exactly it was. It could have been something physical, or even relational, who knows? But, the important thing is realizing why God allowed it to be a part of his life. After realizing it would never leave him, instead of continuing to wish the "thorn" was not there, Paul allowed God to take over and compensate for what he was lacking. He allowed God's supernatural power to be on display in his life because of his weakness. We know how successful Paul's ministry was on this earth. Don't you think if he had not had that "thorn" he might have been tempted to be just a little prideful, taking the praise and credit himself instead of giving God the glory for his incredible ministry?

Do you have any "thorns in your flesh?" I think maybe we all do. Yours may be a physical or mental ailment, or maybe a difficult relationship or situation in your life; something that you just can't seem to get away from. Whatever the case may be, let it provide you the opportunity to lean on God. Draw closer to Him and He will draw you closer to you. Don't hide your thorn from others. Don't try to put on a mask and say "everything is ok." Be vulnerable with others and let them see your weaknesses. When you are open like this, people will see that it is not you, but God working through you in your life, giving Him the glory!

I believe God is in control and knows exactly what He is doing when he allows certain "thorns" in the lives of His children. If any of this hits home with you, as it does with me, remember that "His grace is sufficient for you........when we are weak, He is strong!"

Love you all!

,Brandi

No comments: