Sunday, November 16, 2008

The view

This is a photo of the view from the top of "Prayer Mountain" here in Wimberley. A local church has a sign posted at the bottom, encouraging you to climb the stairs leading to the top, and spend time there, in worship and prayer. What a wonderful place, above all the goings-on below us, to put life in perspective. This has become one of my favorite spots in Wimberley. It is so peaceful, so beautiful.

Last week when I was up there, I noticed two birds flying overhead, as I often do. As I watched them fly, so gracefully, I noticed their flight seemed so effortless. They were doing it with such ease, as if that was exactly the thing they were created to do. I was reminded that is how God wants us to live. He wants us to take that "leap of faith", jump off that cliff we are standing on and land on His wings, where He will carry us.

There is something He has created each of us to do. Ephesians 2:10 says, "We are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." We have to trust Him enough to "jump" and then watch as He directs our flight. Isaiah 55:9 says, "For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." He knows what is best for us and He loves us. He promises if we "let go" of our lives, we will gain it but if we "hold on" to it, we will lose it. So, let me encourage you to take that risk, have faith that God will carry you, when you allow Him to take control. Trust that His ways are best for He is our wise, loving father and we are his children.

No comments: