Friday, February 6, 2009

Apart from Him, we can do nothing!!

John 15:5-6 (New Living Translation)

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned."

Wow, this is a powerful verse. I'm memorizing this one right now. It seems to me to be the basic "how-to" of living the Christian life. It is so straight forward, so simple. Stay attached to the vine (Jesus) and you will live, you will succeed in what He has called you to do. Detach from it and you will be lifeless and accomplish "nothing." It does not say you will accomplish "some things" but it very clearly states, that you will accomplish "nothing." We will be useless in advancing God's kingdom.

So, how do we stay attached to the vine? By staying in the Word of God every day. By making it our bread of life, our breath of life, we just can't live without it. For me this has taken choices on my part. It has to be an intentional act. The desire to read and study the Bible does not come naturally to our human nature. Yes there are so many other distractions in our world today to keep us from being attached to the vine but, what is more important? I have to set priorities to manage my time. So, if the laundry pile is piling up, it can wait!!!!

He knows we simply cannot carry around a Bible with us every second of the day. For me, writing scriptures on note cards and keeping them in prominent places, in view, is a great reminder. I use a spiral bound book of index cards. I can flip it open and stand it up at the bathroom and kitchen sink. Pick one verse to memorize for two weeks and keep your little book open to that one. Even this is better than nothing. This is also small enough to carry it with you in your purse or in the car.

I believe prayer is the other way to stay connected to the vine. I am working on making prayer part of my "all-day", not just my quiet time. I believe God wants us to stay attached to Him all day. I am practicing saying prayers all day long, even using a "code word" to remind me He is there like saying "You are with me" every time you can think of it. I believe He wants us to invite Him into our day.

I am not a brilliant girl and believe me, I don't have all of this figured out, but I know one thing, I do not want to be "thrown away like a useless branch and wither, to be gathered into a pile to be burned." I believe God wants us to be obedient to His word so I am inviting the Holy Spirit to give me the power to do these things! I know He will give me this power because He loves me dearly!!

He is especially fond of you too!

Love,
Brandi

No comments: